Monday, January 9, 2012

I Am a Mommy

I am tired. Why? I am a mommy. I change my clothes as often as I change my daughter's diapers as one outfit after another is stained with food from messy hands and poop. I would love to go shopping for bags of new clothes, but lately the only bags I carry are the ones under my eyes! I can tell you more about Elmo's world than Obama's policies. Time for just my husband and I must come late at night after our toddlers fall asleep or early in the morning before they wake up, and only if we are not completely exhausted. The laundry piles up, the dishes pile up, the bills pile up, and some days my tears pile up and I just cannot laugh them off. Do you know what I mean?

But I am happy. Why? I am a mommy. I make a difference in the world! I get to spend every day with the people I love most. I feel peace when I lay my head on my pillow at night - next to my incredibly handsome husband - because I know I am following the Lord's plan for my life. I get all the smiles, kisses, snuggles, and hugs I could ever want. I get to relive my childhood, play dolls, and go to the park. I watch my girls grow and learn and every day I learn a little more from them about unconditional love, patience, kindness, forgiveness, service . . . and how to be an incredibly awesome multi-tasker!

Our first daughter was born just four months after we graduated from college and we were rich in love, but poor in money. We made sacrifices to have her, but it is no sacrifice to give up other dreams because I want to be a mommy even more! I know as I trust in the Lord, He will guide my paths as I raise these beautiful spirits (Proverbs 3:5-6). They are His children too. I would not trade these early years of motherhood for anything and treasure each day as a blessing. So bring on the poopy diapers! Although for the sake of my wardrobe, I need to run to Wal-Mart and buy a plastic poncho to wear tomorrow. . .

2 comments:

Jess said...

Hey Emily! What a fun new blog! I am going to stock you now. Hehe!

The Jensen's said...

Love it Emily! Just what I needed to hear today!