Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Tender Mercy

Elder David A. Bednar of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles defines tender mercies as “very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ” (The Tender Mercies of the Lord, April 2005 General Conference). To me, these are the moments when Heavenly Father says, “I know you. I hear you. I love you.” I had one of these moments a few weeks ago.

To preface how much my tender mercy meant meant to me, I have to first address the “M” word. You know what that is? Money. This can be a touchy subject sometimes, depending on the amount of money people earn or wish they earned. Landon is a teacher. I am a stay-home mother. We have to carefully budget every penny we have. This is not a complaint; this is a lifestyle we choose and I know we are far better off than most of the world. I am grateful for what we have. However, if you ever want to complain that teachers are unappreciated and underpaid, I will be a great listener!

One night Landon and I stayed up late anxiously discussing financial issues. More specifically, how to either make more money or save more money because it keeps running out. Funny how that happens. We decided we wanted to pay more money toward our mortgage too, but where do we take the money from?

The morning after Landon and I talked, I decided to read my scriptures before our girls woke up. I sat in bed, opened my scriptures to a random page, looked down at a verse, and this is what it said:

“Concern not yourselves about your debts, for I will give you power to pay them”. D&C 111: 5.

Bam! A tender mercy! I know Heavenly Father answers our prayers, but I was not expecting an answer and peace of mind so quickly. I do not believe I “accidently” opened my scriptures to that page and just “happened” upon that verse. I think an angel was guiding my hands and my eyes. I think angels are all around us, guiding our lives in ways we never know. The Lord is helping us in ways we might not even recognize.

Although this scripture was given to Joseph Smith in 1836, I know Heavenly Father meant for me to see that scripture on that morning. I know He is aware of our needs. As long as we remain faithful, keeping our covenants and paying our tithing, he will bless us spiritually, emotionally, physically, and financially.

Do you have a tender mercy to share?

2 comments:

Terry said...

I found your blog through Segullah. I love those personal tender mercies that come that really are just for us! Thanks for sharing yours.

Cheltz said...

Awesome! Love it when this happens!